We are in one of the final phases of our decade-long remodel – putting up door trim. We wanted to use some old (and decrepit) painted trim that we had removed during the demo, but it looked like crap. But when we looked a little closer, it just looked like crap on the surface, so we decided to get the heat gun out and remove the several layers of paint that were gunking it up.
It went pretty quickly and was much easier and less messy than using a chemical (or citrus-based) stripper. There were still fumes though, so we used masks and good ventilation. After removing the paint, we gave it a quick sanding with a random orbital sander, filled/sanded some nail holes with wood filler, then 2 coats of paint with a self-priming paint.
Looks like new (or at least less crappy)!
If you liked this post, you may also like:
See more of Heidi’s artwork at Old Stuff. New Stories.