The hearth re-do.
Our intention was (6 months ago) to remove the existing mortar bed of the hearth so we could lay a new tile hearth flush with the floor. I’m embarrassed to admit that we haven’t made any progress with this project since last spring. For a reminder of where we left off, read this post.
A quick re-cap: we removed the wood stove and its tile pad, revealing “faux” tiles made from concrete which sat on a mortar bed.
The first layer of concrete was easy to remove with a chisel and hammer, but there was a very stubborn layer of concrete underneath. We went to work on removing it.
We started small. We tried using a cold chisel and a hammer. Didn’t work.
We tried using a wonderbar and a mallet. Didn’t work.
We tried using a crowbar and the back end of a scary ax. Didn’t work.
Finally, we rented a demolition hammer. With this mother of all tools, it took only about 10 minutes to remove a pad of concrete that was 2″ deep and measured 24″ x 70″. Amazing!
To prevent the concrete dust from flying everywhere, we rigged up a little shelter using a ladder, wood, plastic sheeting and clamps. Still, it took longer to clean up the debris than it did to jackhammer it out.
Here’s me chipping away, wishing we would’ve rented this thing 6 months ago.
All done! Next up: installing a new wood stove, setting new hearth tile, and painting the floor.
I’m hoping it won’t be another 6 months before that happens.
If you like this post you may also like:
See more of Heidi’s artwork at Old Stuff. New Stories.